The 2014 Poteet Strawberry Festival
Strawberry Judging / Auction Contest
1. The Strawberry Judging Committee and the Poteet Rotary Club assume no responsibility for any entry other than exercising reasonable care in handling. The Committee will not be responsible for accidents or losses occurring for any cause.
2. The committee will accept entries and make checks payable to whoever is designated by the person entering the crate of berries. Checks will be mailed to growers as soon as possible following the festival.
3. The committee has no control over, or assumes no responsibility for, agreements between landlords and tenants.
4. The committee reserves the right to deduct a fee of twenty – five (25%) percent from the sale of auctioned crates of berries.
5. The committee assumes no responsibility as to classification of varieties entered. The person making the entry must make that designation. If correct classification is in doubt, the final classification will be left up to the judge(s). Each crate of berries must be in the same variety, (Each crate will contain only one variety of berry. Exhibitors are not allowed to mix varieties in a single crate.)
6. The strawberry auction committee reserves the final and absolute right to interpret the rules and regulations and arbitrarily settle and determine all matters, questions, and difference in regard thereto, its judgment may determine. An exhibitor who violates any of the rules and regulations of the show will forfeit all privileges and premiums and the subject to such penalty as the Show / Auction committee may order.
7. Protests - All protests must be in writing and accompanied by a deposit of $100.00, which will be refunded if the protest is sustained. Such protest must state plainly the cause of the complaint, or appeal, and must be delivered to the Secretary of the Rotary Club of Poteet.
1. Major classes or varieties of entered berries are determined by the number of crates entered. If there are 5 or more crates of one variety, then a class has been defined. If there are 4 or fewer crates of one variety, they will be included in the Miscellaneous Class.
2. There will be five (5) places (awarded) in each variety (class) with Grand and Reserve Champions selected from these places.
3. Berries will be sold in the order that they are placed in judging. Non-placing berries will be auctioned after placing berries. Berries not sold will be returned to the entering grower.
4. All entries must be packed in new 24 pint paper flats (2 -12 pint flats). All other will be disqualified.
5. Each flat must be labeled with the exhibitor’s name on the bottom of the flat. Labeling should be completed before arriving at the Poteet Strawberry Festival Grounds.
6. No more than two (2) entries in any one variety may be made per grower. All others will be disqualified.
7. Strawberry exhibitors must be strawberry growers. A grower is defined as a person who has the primary management and financial responsibility for the berry crop used to produce his exhibit.
8. The Grower or his appointed representatives must be present to accept the ribbon and accept the berries during the auction.
9. Only berries grown in Atascosa County will be eligible for the contest.
10. Any flats of berries that do not meet minimum quality standards for the determined by the judge(s) will be set aside and not judged or auctioned.
11. Once berry entries are registered and accepted by the auction committee, the entry becomes the property of the auction committee and will remain so until the entry is released by the auction committee. Any exhibitor who reclaims or moves an entry without the express permission of the auction committee will forfeit all rights, privileges and premiums.
Strawberries will be judged on: Texture, Uniformity, Taste, Color, Size and Overall Appearance.
Thank you for your participation and cooperation in the 66th Annual Poteet Strawberry Festival – Strawberry Judging / Auction.